I am Hula Hooping, Yay!


Picture 1. Hula hooping

At the age of early quarter of a century, I bought a hula hoop. I still remember it was 11 a.m. on a very warm afternoon when I got off the Commuter Line Train at Cikini Station, Jakarta to buy the hoop. The hoop I bought was made from rattan, similar to the hoop belonged to mine in my childhood. I thanked God as my dream to play hula hoop would come true. I had promised to myself to play hula hoop again as my light daily exercise in the midst of my busy activities.

However, Guys, it was not that easy. It was quite difficult to start hula hooping again after having stopping it for about 18 years. I felt like to have to learn of how to play it for the first time very carefully. I had to perform extra hard work to be successful. But, the more I tried to keep it twirling around my waist, the easier the hoop slided down from my waist, huh. 

Much effort, patient, and perseverance were completely needed. I realized it. What I had to do was just practice, practice, and practice as practice makes perfect. That is the main key. I chose not to give up. Instead, I kept on moving. When the hoop slided down, I just took it, set it around my waist, and twirled it, then it would slide down again. It happened again and again until I scarcely got disappointed.

Slowly but surely my effort found its way. At first my body could maintain the hoop’s twirl for some seconds long. Then the time increased until I can do hula hooping for some minutes long. I am hula hooping, yay! What a surprise!  

Picture 2. Rattan hula hoop: just like mine ^__^
Well, going back to my age. I am a 'young' adult playing hula hoop. Does it sound silly to you? As most of my friends directly show off their wide smile, even laugh after finding a hula hoop in my room while few just say, "Oh, it is okay. Never mind." LOL, I surely understand something hidden in their mind: That hula hoop is a child’s toy. Playing hula hoop is only known in children’s world and it is far from adults’ core busy activity.

So, if you buy a hula hoop for yourself (though you are not a teen any more), you are still considered part of those little children by some people. Even though not all think so, it has generally become an agreed-unwritten convension in my surrounding. 

Most people’s eyes were sharply directed to my hoop as if they were asking, “Are you hula hooping?” when they saw me walking through the street to my house while bringing my new 70 cm diameter-hoop. LOL, what a beautiful day! I said to please myself. 

Seeing me bringing a new rattan hula hoop while waiting for the train to take me home an old man gently asked me, “For whom is it?” I saw his glance at my hoop. Innocently I replied, “For my self.” “Oh...,” The old man was surprised. I could see it clearly from his spontaneous wide-eyed.

Those various reactions from people I met may be usual in my society. However, it is likely that such people’s point of view might be different from foreigners’. I ever watched hula hooping video on Youtube and I saw that most of the hula hoop models were adults, at least they cannot be counted as teenagers any more. This phenomenon shows that hula hoop-playing adult seems ‘more common’ for people abroad. It was more familiar for foreigners than for most people where I live in.

 I know it is not such a big matter. That is why, whatever people say about adult hula hooper never stops me in playing hula hoop because I see that my hoop does not break one’s privacy. I bought hula hoop with my own money and I even did not owe anyone to buy it. So far, my hula hoop playing also creates neither noisy sound nor ugly view as I play the hoop in my private room. Furthermore, if I must go with most people’s opinion, my tiring hard work to play it for two months will mean nothing. According to me, when it is good for us and does not touch on other people’s business, taking notice of such people’s notion can be ignored LOL.

Paying no attention of what people say about my hoop, I start to concern with the benefits of hula hooping. Practicing hula hoop regularly does give significant effects for me. My body feels healthier and I do not get tired easily. As a result, I can do anything much longer than before until I whisper to myself, is it really due to the hoop playing? I wonder. It is still questionable, but that is the fact.

I am also able to be more concentrate in what I am doing at office. Do you believe it? I hardly feel sleepy in doing my work. All I do every day seem to be in a better order. Besides, the quality of my sleeping feels better and I can easily go to bed as I want and get up in the morning with very fresh body and mind.

Those are what I feel by hula hooping. Surely, there are other advantages of hula hooping I do not mention here. From explanation above, may I know your opinion about hula hooping? Is hula hoop worth playing? Well, regardless the answer, I do enjoy hula hooping since for me hula hooping is so exciting and challenging.

Happy hula hooping, yay!


Sources: 

Comments